Tuesday 11 May 2021

Some Other Cult TV VHS Rental Tapes...

Switching back to the Super Space Theater post from day or so back, I failed to mention that the feature compilations of Gerry Anderson's show were also released for rental by Precision Video. Precision seemed to have complete access to the ITC back catalogue and their releases included many of the studio's motion pictures as well as television titles. The TV ones included ready-made 'movies' of 'The Persuaders!' and 'The Prisoner' produced by ITC back in the early 70s for foreign and syndication markets. The Super Space Theater productions were an ideal fit for them and I recall eagerly renting 'Invasion:UFO' from a local store to get my first taste of 'UFO' in nearly a decade. I also managed to acquire 'London Conspiracy' - a feature film of 'The Persuaders!' culled from the episodes 'Greensleeves' and 'A Home of One's Own'. I still have the tape - contained within its unique plastic cassette box which mirrored the design of a music cassette box but larger... obviously.

As well as their odd boxes, Precision also had a light house style to its cover designs - again similar to that used by music cassette producers. I've managed to replicate that design template and applied to a couple of unreleased titles for a bit of fun. One of them is 'Legend of the Champions' (based on 'The Champions' obviously!) - the only Super Space Theater title that wasn't part of the Gerry Anderson oeuvre.

I've also re-created the design style for another VHS rental company, Guild Home Video. I seem to recall they had a few TV titles in their library including an early release of the HTV children's drama, 'Children of the Stones'. I've applied that template to a made up 'Department S' feature. (Actually the artwork for that ended up looking like it should've been on the cover of a World Distributors annual or colouring book... Not that that is a bad thing. I might knock that up when I get some free time.)

Finally, I also mocked up the Channel 5 video design and for a bit of fun took the mickey out of Gerry Anderson's failed pilot 'The Investigator'. I'm a rotter...

(If you want to read the text, the images can be clicked on to enlarge.)


Textless artwork






If you appreciate the incredible effort and imagination I've put into this silly excursion into silliness, then you can show your appreciation by purchasing me a coffee via my Ko-fi account here. Thank you.