Sunday 4 October 2020

Not Star Trek Annuals.

I recently acquired the first Star Trek annual. £2 from a charity shop since you ask.

 It's the typical lazy World Distributors fare - a couple of Gold Key reprints padded out to the 64 page limit with a handful of pages featuring 'space facts'. 

It reminded me again that I don't do much, if any, Star Trek stuff on here. Looking at the cover of that annual gave me the idea of doing some more spin-off Doctor Who annuals using the covers of these icons of the 70s as inspiration. 

That first one fitted Frontier in Space quite well. In fact, it's my favourite. (You will note that the futuristic city behind Jo Grant and her two Ogron chums is the Brazilian National Congress building in Brasilia - a photo of which portrayed the Earth President's residence in said episodes. Quite a clever inclusion that though I say so myself!) 

The others are a mixed bag. I've included the original annuals at the foot of this post as the Doctor Who fans who follow me might not be familiar with Star Trek. It was a US TV show in the 60s that ran for only three seasons and was a staple schedule filler for the BBC during most of the 70s. They tried remaking it a few times over the years with varying degrees of success. The latest versions can only be viewed if you pay extra.








If you've enjoyed this wander into the realms of absurdity, then why not buy the creator a cup of coffee for the troubles. You can do this via his Ko-fi account. The link is here. There's also a gallery of his best stuff so you don't have to sort through all the crap posts on this blog to get your fix of fun.