Thursday 2 April 2020

The New Doctor Who Monster Book

Just before Christmas, I had an idea to do an update of the 1976 Doctor Who Monster Book featuring Jodie Whittaker's first series as the Doctor. 

I managed to do a cover quite easily - fudged with a circa-Matt Smith Cyberman (remember the Cyber Warriors and the Cyber Lords hadn't been revealed back then.) 



The original book included black and white versions of many of the original Target book covers used to flesh out the sparse text. So I also created some Target-inspired artwork to illustrate this new version. I even managed to get as far as writing up and laying out a few pages before the festive holiday. 

Then the new series started and I was presented was a quandary - should I keep to the original idea and just feature JW's first season or should I expand it to include the 2020 one too? Given the amount of new monsters debuting this series, I decided to put it on hiatus for a bit. (I was also busy doing proper Target book covers for the new episodes as they aired!) 

I will return to it shortly but will no doubt have to redo the cover to include some newer elements... which is a pity really as I quite like it as it is. 












If you have found this post entertaining, then please consider buying me a Ko-fi to show your appreciation. You can click here for more details.