Wednesday 12 July 2017

Edgar Wallace presents The Dr Who Mysteries...

Following my recent cardiac episode, one of the best pieces of advice to assist with my convalescence was to invest in a few "box sets" and force myself to chill out and watch them. It gave me a very good excuse to shell out for the complete Edgar Wallace Mysteries box set - twenty discs containing over fifty British 'B' movie crime thrillers from the early sixties - a few of which were actually based on Mr. Wallace's stories. 

There's plenty to keep the rabid Doctor Who happy in this exhaustive collection. William Hartnell is a grumpy police superintendent in one. William Russell pops up in two. Producer Derrick Sherwin is in no less than three of them - one of which he appears as the young romantic lead! Some are great, some are corny. But they are all hugely entertaining.

Included in the box set are booklets containing viewing notes and collections of the various cinema posters used to advertise them. 

Now that I'm virtually back at the computer, I've knocked up a handful of Dr Who cinema posters based on the Edgar Wallace designs. 

Well, I had to didn't I....